Friday, January 21, 2011

Reactive Framework for .NET documentation

I do not enjoy one thing about RX.NET, the documentation. There is no such thing as a good documentation, or tutorial for this framework. There is a wiki, but It didn't save my day yet. As a result and easy task sometimes takes a while. Starting from looking at the methods, classes, types, extensions available, thru adding reference to something, and finally using it in a proper way. Today as an example I was playing with EnumerableEx, but first I had to ad a reference to it in my project. So I added a reference to System.Reactive, but it wasn't there, I checked if ReSharper will help me, but it was unable to figure out what was I up to also. I added a reference to Syste.CoreEx, but it wasn't there. Finally I added a reference to System.Linq.Async, System.Interactive, System.Reactive.ClientProfile, to figure out that EnumerableEx is a static class defined in System.Interactive. Usually, when I learn a new framework, or a set of libraries, I spend some time looking at public methods, data types, and basically a new arsenal that I can use. Just to have a high level view at what can I use. I strongly recommend looking at RX.NET classes before using it, it saves time later on, when one is trying to achieve something but is unsure if it is possible to do or one is using a wrong method for doing a wrong thing.

No comments: