Monday, March 7, 2011

Types theory

As for me a theoretical part of Information Technology is a crucial part to understand what is going on in a dynamic environment. By a dynamic environment I mean plenty of frameworks that exists on a market, huge amount of different computer languages and different technologies, models that try to expose some ideas of its creators. But idea is a thing that can be described by a language, and probably if there are few ideas some of them share something in common, and some classes of abstraction can be named between them. This is why I was usually even more interested in a theory that stands behind some technology then the technology itself. Type theory is an example. About four years ago I was a hard core dynamic language purists that enjoyed everything that fully enabled me to express my mind - I loved writing Perl one liners, using sophisticated magic standing behind JavaScript prototyping. It was also a time when I first read a book Types and Programming Languages by C. Pierce. And it was a book that opened by mind to problems, benefits, ideas lying underneath typing, and also showed that static typing by sticking to its discipline allowed programmer to express himself by using a different approach (then dynamic language programmer) but it is hard to say that by sticking to static typing you miss something. As every human being I enjoy discussing my thoughts, ideas with other people, it allowed me to understand topics that I study deeper, more, and also allowed to look at it from a different perspective, a perspective of a person that I talk to (I assume that he spokes back:) ). Huge majority of people that I know do not study theory any more, they tend to read books about a specific technology - like MVC, SharePoint, instead of trying to understand a theory, philosophy standing behind a specific implementation. As a reader can imagine it is hard to find a person to talk to about types theory, but there are other methods/techniques that allowed me to rethink things that I now and get motivated to explore and learn more. This is why I am so happy to find a web page by brothers in arms from Oregon UV. A great place to explore and learn.

No comments: